Vice President Business Development | Vancouver
Our client is Canadian-based, global cannabis company servicing both medicinal and recreational markets in national and international markets. As an early entrant to the marketplace they have crossed major milestones and enjoyed great success in addition to being well poised to capitalize on the rapidly evolving landscape.
As the result of continued and exponential growth they are looking to add a Vice President Business Development to the team. This role will work closely with the CEO and be responsible for analyzing investment opportunities, structuring deals, corporate transactions and equity financing, performing due diligence and driving the development of the company’s strategic plan as well as strategic initiatives and partnerships.
The right person for the role has experience with vetting and putting together complex deals, has worked in a global environment, understands the legal and financial complexities of mergers, acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures and the full deal life cycle.
This is a tremendous opportunity to join an exciting and pioneering organization in a game-changing sector with an attractive compensation package and other benefits.
What you will be doing:
- Evaluating investment opportunities.
- Reviewing business plans and presentations, providing recommendations pertaining to their financial opportunity and strategic fit with the company’s objectives.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of the industry, emerging technologies, business models and overall strategic objectives.
- Structuring corporate transactions.
- Setting up corporate entities and executing and managing legal agreements in international markets.
- Working alongside internal and external legal counsel to structure transactions (investments, joint ventures, strategic alliances and financing).
- Developing new market initiatives, assessing new markets and analyzing business opportunities.
- Conducting financial feasibility studies and developing proposals for new business opportunities.
- Developing financial forecasts and budgets for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Building financial models to validate the cost/benefit of new initiatives.
- Synthesizing and articulating key findings as appropriate for new opportunities.
- Developing and executing merger and acquisition initiatives aligned with short and long-term business strategies.
- Seeking out and analyzing acquisition opportunities for the company.
- Maintaining a dialogue with investment banks and other intermediaries to ensure acquisition opportunities are identified in a controlled way.
What you need to have:
- B.A. / B.S. in Finance or Economics.
- MBA or advanced degree preferred.
- 5-10+ years of experience in business development, financial analysis and strategic planning
- Proven experience negotiating and closing strategic partnerships.
- Excellent organizational, strategic, planning and implementing skills.
- Excellent management writing, presentation and verbal communication skills.
- Understanding of financial reports including budgetary guidelines and project expenditures.
- Ability to assign and delegate work, problem solve, answer questions and evaluate results of performance.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
- Ability to follow through and complete overlapping projects.
- Effective leadership skills, with a strong focus on operations and business processes.
- Demonstrated ability to manage key constituent relationships, including Finance and Legal.
- Ability to identify key issues; creatively and strategically overcome internal challenges or obstacles.
- Strong knowledge of fiscal management and responsibility, business finance, capital funding, contracts, and partnerships.
- Sound understanding of risk management.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentially and accountability.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization and execution skills.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Experience creating and managing budgets for a large, distributed organization.
- Fluency in Spanish is an asset (though not a requirement)
- Travel is required.
We thank all who apply. Only those who have been shortlisted will be contacted.